Re: The Real World of Databases

From: John Doherty <jdoherty_at_nowhere.null.not>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:18:05 -0600

In article <H7rkd.11605$Q7.3622_at_fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Paul Wagstaff" <waggy_at_blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> need some adivce/pointers on whether it is possible to become a serious
> db developer and retain the joy of using Access and its GUI or does it all
> become a little bit *dry*?

Well, leaving aside the opinions of what's a "joy" and what's "dry," we're still left with what constitutes "serious."

But you're not going to be developing any truly large database systems with Access. Front ends that connect to larger systems, sure, but not the large system itself.

I think it's fair to say that for most values of "serious," you would need to become familiar with one or more database server systems. If you whole world is Windows and Office, then SQL Server would probably be a good place to start, although there are a number of other choices.