Re: Relational vs network vs hierarchic databases

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:49:59 -0500

"Ja Lar" <jalar_at_nomail.com> wrote in message news:cmqh96$9e2$1_at_news.net.uni-c.dk...

> In this case, you might be correct in one or more concrete cases. (But you
> might be wrong as well).
> Point is that "relational" and "performance" are orthogonal - and thus not
> contradicting or compeeting in any case.
> In regard to the theme of the thread: that's the important message, IMHO.

Sure. Find an implementation of the information principle that implements associative memory without resorting to indexes, and the relational model can be implemented to run as fast as the hierarchical model.

AFAIK, such an associative memory has never been built. I'd be delighted to be shown wrong.

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to use products that rely on indexes, and pay the performance penalty that that choice implies. Received on Tue Nov 09 2004 - 16:49:59 CET

Original text of this message