Re: The MySQL/PHP pair

From: Lemming <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 01:29:52 +0000

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:06:18 -0600, "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote:

>"Lemming" <thiswillbounce_at_bumblbee.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

>> >I don't think this is an implementation thing though - it's more
>> >fundamental than that. I think the system of predicates has to be
>> >isomorphic to the system of relations and unless you preserve things
>> >like atomicity this won't be the case.
>> >
>> >And I don't think relations are just another type - they are special
>> >because they represent your basic logical framework. All the other types
>> >are just tacked on afterwards to make life easier. Relations are the
>> >logic and the other types are the things that the logic talks about.

>> >Well if you google around you can find websites that approach logic from
>> >a more philosophical that mathematical angle, using sentences in a
>> >natural language. But they still basically parallel the mathematic
>> >definitions.

>> >Good point. It is a bit unnerving to think that all you've got might be
>> >built on sand though. Interesting as well to see I think it was Dan's
>> >post about the practical difficulties he faced trying to build a system
>> >with nested relations.

>> >Maybe there are two possible arguments:
>> >1) simplicity, because we want to base it on standard first-order logic.
>> >2) to avoid logical paradoxes or queries that return incorrect results
>> >etc. I'd like to see some concrete examples of this though.
>>
>> 3) It works. Don't fix it.
>
>I do believe that is what the IMS folks have been saying for years ;-)
>
>> Seriously though, if you want to invent a new modelling paradigm, go
>> right ahead, just don't call it Relational. Call it ... umm ... PICK.
>
>How 'bout XML for short? --dawn

I've solved my "bee-in-the-bonnet" about XML. I can see that the bad impression I had of XML was a consequence of suits trying to shoehorn the latest buzzword solution onto every problem, and unfortunately the problem I was trying to solve was one of the least suited to it. XML is fine for what it is good at - marking up text, and providing an application independent transport mechanism for small datasets.

Anyway: Like others here, I've tried to follow what you have been rambling about for some time, but I'm afraid the time has come for me to admit that either I'm not clever enough to understand your missives, or you are just chaffing on about nothing. Either way, the healthiest solution for me is:

*plonk*

Lemming

--
Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.