Re: Andrew Tanenbaum AP story

From: robert <gnuoytr_at_rcn.com>
Date: 3 Nov 2004 09:41:08 -0800

Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_mail.ocis.net> wrote in message news:<trtgo01dim6nif8bahosu0i98bfpb91nst_at_4ax.com>...
> Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >...and yet the use of this "obsolete" design continues to grow faster than
> >any other system out there, including BSD.
> >
> >The standard rebuttal to the "obsolete" or "inferior" argument is that the
> >definitions are too narrow.
>
> I like this pithy sig:
>
> legacy (adj) - A pejorative term used in the computer industry meaning
> "it works."
>
> >Looking at the entire picture, something cannot be "superior" if it is
> >encumbered by personalities, licensing, barriers to entry, or other items
> >not directly tied to the pure technical matters. The argument is that the
> >technology cannot be separated from its culture. If cannot break out of
> >its own culture, it is just plain not superior to anything. It is at best
> >a pet project.
>
> I remember the whining of the OS/2 aficionados. OS/2 was
> technically superior to MS-DOS, etc., etc. What they missed was that
> MS-DOS was good enough,

if i remember my history correctly, the ascendence of DOS was not that it was good enough. rather, Lotus could only afford to build 1-2-3 (a wholly assembler program for its first 3(?) releases) for one platform
and chose DOS. it was the killer app that made DOS. IBM sold the PC with the user's choice: CP/M-86, UCSD-P system, or PC-DOS. if you wanted 1-2-3, you didn't have a choice. then, M$ was allowed to make and enforce restrictive contracts such that clones couldn't (in reality) be
sold with anything else.

users never really made the decision. manufacturers did.

and many had compensated for its weaknesses