Re: By The Dawn's Normal Light

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:33:36 -0400

"Paul" <paul_at_test.com> wrote in message

I just did a google search on "Second Order Logic"

The definition in PlanetMath answered my question about second order logic to my satisfaction.

BTW, I found the following fascinating quote from Fact-Index.com:
<quote>
An optimist might attempt to reduce second-order logic to first-order logic in the following way. Expand the domain from the set of all real numbers to the union of that set with the set of all sets of real numbers. Add a new binary predicate to the language: the membership relation. Then sentences that were second-order become first-order. </quote>

I think some of the discussion in this forum falls under the category of
"optimistic" under the above quote.