Re: By The Dawn's Normal Light

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: 27 Oct 2004 16:19:13 -0700

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE> wrote in message news:<clob9l$d8b$1_at_news.netins.net>...

> Then you are missing something as on this particular topic (I'm sure not
> all) I am taking great care to be rigidly mathematical. I've been working on
> 1-3NF, ignoring 4-6 until I have figured out what to do with these. It
> appears to me that 1-3 can be removed completely from the mixture in favor
> of BCNF without any loss to the discipline. Do you agree?

1NF is vacuous, but 2NF and 3NF are interesting to explain and to understand the functional dependency issues.

As I said before, when we are designing a database we can forget 2NF and 3NF and to start checking BCNF directly. But 2-3NF are not vacuous.

> It is even
> more damaging to keep GWB in office than 1-3NF on the books the way they are
> now.

Then we agree on more than one thing, but sometimes it seems to me that you use the same surrealist logic as him.

Regards Received on Thu Oct 28 2004 - 01:19:13 CEST

Original text of this message