Re: By The Dawn's Normal Light

From: erk <eric.kaun_at_pnc.com>
Date: 27 Oct 2004 11:43:19 -0700

> I've been working on
> 1-3NF, ignoring 4-6 until I have figured out what to do with these.

4-6 are irrelevant unless you have compound keys or temporal data.

> It appears to me that 1-3 can be removed completely from the mixture
in
> favor of BCNF without any loss to the discipline. Do you agree?

I think that's reasonable. 1NF makes an interesting discussion, but that's all. 2-3 are useful primarily to get to BCNF, 4 and 5 go hand-in-hand (go right to five if you have composite keys), and 6 is for temporal only. Sorry for the sloppy characterizations here; I think BCNF, 5NF, and 6NF are sufficient.

> And as for Bush, I was a Kerry delegate to the state of Iowa. It is
even
> more damaging to keep GWB in office than 1-3NF on the books the way
> they are now.

hahahaha

I knew I liked you for more reasons than just your conversation-starters and endless intellectual curiosity... you also have discriminating taste! :-) [shameless plug: http://jroller.com/page/erk if you're interested].

  • erk