Re: And again: 1NF may not be dead

From: Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:36:03 -0400

Alan wrote:

>> DECLARE ArrayExample char(5)[] = {'abc','xyz','123'};
>> DECLARE ListExample varchar(50) = 'abc,xyz,123';
>>
>> INSERT INTO CHILDREN (parent_id,item_id)
>> SELECT 'X',SPLIT(ArrayExample)
>> INSERT INTO CHILDREN (parent_id,item_id)
>> SELECT 'X',SPLIT(ListExample,",")
>>

> Oracle has been handling nested tables and arrays for several versions
> now.

That sounds cool. PostgreSQL, which I am using at the moment, also allows arrays.

What I was particularly pointing at was the idea that the SQL language itself as defined by committee would contain functions that turn all of these things into each other. Does Oracle's language do such things?

--
Kenneth Downs
Use first initial plus last name at last name plus literal "fam.net" to