Re: Call for an API standard for SQL statements

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:15:07 -0400

"Fredrik Bertilsson" <fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se> wrote in message news:31f7e57d.0410212122.3478aaa4_at_posting.google.com...
> "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> > Do you really need custom datatypes, or just custom domains?
> There are no database vendor-independent domain concept.

SQL-92 includes the CREATE DOMAIN statement, doesn't it? Isn't that a vendor independent domain concept?

viz:
http://developer.mimer.com/documentation/html_82/Mimer_SQL_Reference_Manual/ SQL_Statements31.html

> > Does your DBMS support CREATE DOMAIN? If not, why not?
> I know that RDB support this, but Oracle does not.

More's the pity. When I moved from Rdb to Oracle in 1994, the lack of CREATE DOMAIN was my biggest lament.
I wonder when Oracle is going to add CREATE DOMAIN to RDBMS?

> Yes, but most report engines I know of need a report definition there
> you tell how to join tables and how to group the result. Otherwise
> they have to parse the SQL string.

Gee, the ones I use have two separable functions: the firs tis to turn the relational data into a record stream, and the second is to turn a record stream into a hierarchical report.

 The control breaks are part of the report definition, and the joins are part of the stream specification. Separate issues. Received on Fri Oct 22 2004 - 16:15:07 CEST

Original text of this message