Re: Call for an API standard for SQL statements

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:57:04 GMT

"Fredrik Bertilsson" <fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se> wrote in message news:31f7e57d.0410192036.32b78175_at_posting.google.com...
> It does not seem to exists any standard for how to define SQL
> statements in a object oriented API. Currently different products have
> completely different syntax. Until such standard exists, people can
> always argue that it safer to type SQL statements directly as strings
> in the application source code. But there are many situations there an
> application framework need to know how the statements is built up, not
> just that it is a stream of characters.

The problem with this idea is that the object model would be more cumbersome than the SQL strings, even in a language that isn't great at string handling. I've tried this several times; I now believe it is not a good idea.

Marshall Received on Wed Oct 20 2004 - 16:57:04 CEST

Original text of this message