Re: Relational Theory & the New Math

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 06:13:25 -0300

Em Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:10:18 -0500, Dawn M. Wolthuis escreveu:

> With relational theory we are trying to base everything on set
> theory, but when that doesn't have what we need, then we add other
> functions as needed.

        No, we aren't.

        We are using it where it makes sense -- dealing with sets of data. When we are dealing with simple algebraic or geometric data (as in results transformation without aggregation) we use Algebra and Geometry.

        Now what you are saying could eventually make some sense if you could offer an alternate model of data based on something else than set theory and having at least comparable power and simplicity. You can't, so please do your homework -- either by doing your own research or by quoting others -- before to continue in your usual avoidance of the realities imposed by the current hegemony of the relational model in data management.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Maringá, PR, BRASIL                            +55 (44) 3025 6253