Re: Relational Theory & the New Math

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:38:13 -0400

> As far as other tools go, "to a kid with a hammer, everything is a set".
> The kid with the hammer mentality pervades IT.
> here are some things I've read: "everything is an object". "In unix,
> everything is a file". "In unix, everything is a printer."
> I am not making this up. No matter what the hammer is, the kid with the
> hammer, tries to force fit everything into one mold. It's not good.

Yes. This is why, to this day, we must go into a File menu to get at the Print command. Some programmer who designed the GUI "knew" that he was printing a file (after all, everything was a file), and could not recognize that the user is printing the +formatted contents+ of the file, otherwise known today as a document. Idiot. There should be a Print menu. Received on Fri Oct 15 2004 - 18:38:13 CEST

Original text of this message