Re: On view updating

From: Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:05:28 -0700

Alfredo Novoa wrote:
> Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2rg6cuF19au64U1@uni-berlin.de>...
>

>>>In that case views are variables. Views and base relvars are
>>>interchangeable and indistinguishable. An user can't know if he is
>>>working with a table or a view.
>>>

>>Oh, yes. A user can know that even trivially.
>>  SELECT OBJECT_TYPE FROM USER_OBJECTS WHERE OBJECT_NAME='XXX'

> I am not talking about specific SQL DBMSs.

But any RDBMS has to store metadata about its objects.

>>A proper relational database would give you away the fact that it is a
>>view by simply typing it correctly
>>
>>typeof('XXX') => RelationType
>>typeof('YYY') => REF RelationType

> Wrong, in a proper relational database the type of a view is a
> relation type.

That's complete bullshit.

You have no clue about PL theory, nor practice you have no clue whatever "proper" RDBMS you refer to, and you've invented the non-sense called

        "variable expression"

You admitted you have no formal semantics, that is no mathematic and tons of handwaving, so discussion is closed.I should have known better. Received on Fri Sep 24 2004 - 16:05:28 CEST

Original text of this message