Re: Specifying all biz rules in relational data

From: Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:54:35 -0400

robert wrote:

> Kenneth Downs <firstinit.lastname_at_lastnameplusfam.net> wrote in message

>> My own experience and inclination has always propelled me towards code
>> generators and database generators, leading to my current project, which
>> is a complete application generator.

> well, code generators (specifically so named) began with COBOL in the
> 1970's. since expired. the 80's and 90's gave us 4-GLs. also expired.
> XML is au courant. will also probably expire. of course, VB continues
> to promise programming without coding. YMMV.
>

>> One of the philosophical cornerstones of all such projects is that the
>> application can be specified entirely in some defined format.

> which ends of being a language the users (nee: coders) must learn.

No code. Data. As in atomic values specifying layouts and biz rules that are organized into normalized tables.

The key person is the analyst, who takes user stories and turns them into layouts, which can be specified without code because the layout is a database and they use a gui.

--
Kenneth Downs
Use first initial plus last name at last name plus literal "fam.net" to