Re: On view updating

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:59:21 -0400

"mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message news:414f0dbd$0$65124$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...

> It would be nice if you could do some of your
> pondering out in the open :-)

I'm just now getting started. I'll have to review what the commercial vendors have done with "INSTEAD OF" in order to have an idea of what wheels they have already invented, and I don't need to reinvent.

I have a sneaking suspicion that, at the end of the day, the optimal degree of data independence is higher for users of data than it is for providers of data. You may need to "understand the base tables", in order to keep them up to date, even if you use a view for convenience. You may need less understanding of the base tables in order to make use of them.

For example, take one of those COBOL flat files people who can't stand normalized data, and want separate columns for "April_Sales", "May_Sales", etc. I've given them views with crosstabulating queries in them, in order to keep them from forming a lynch mob. Received on Mon Sep 20 2004 - 20:59:21 CEST

Original text of this message