Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: 13 Sep 2004 07:26:40 -0700

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:<iO2%c.142816$mD.55572_at_attbi_s02>...

>> > No, you can overload and override the scalar operators and to check
> > the types of the scalar values.
>
> I'm not sure if we're using the same terminology. Ordinarily I would
> consider overriding to be indicitive of subtyping polymorphism,
> not parametric polymorphism.

Agreed, but I also said "overloading"

> Would you care to point me at a particular section of TTM? I've
> read it a few times but that doesn't mean I understood or even
> remember everything.

I don't have the book here, but operators are identified by their signature (name + operands). You may have many operators with the same name.

As you know, Tutorial D is not a full defined language, it is only a blue print for designing relational languages. You may add all the features you like to the language.

Regards Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 16:26:40 CEST

Original text of this message