Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: pstnotpd <schoenmakers_at_tpd.tno.nl>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:41:27 +0200

Laconic2 wrote:

>>Just wondering, is there any RDBMS implementation which actually uses a
>>math engine at its lowest level?

> In this context, I don't understand what you mean by "lowest level".
>
> Come to think of it, I don't know what you mean by a "math engine". I'm
> pretty sure you don't mean a "computer", but a computer is a math engine to
> me.
I mean some sort of engine which tries to solve algebraically. The polar to carthesian conversion mentioned by mAmsterdam would not result in information loss. Something like square root of 2 or pi stored as such.

I suppose this would not perform very well, but I was just wondering if anybody has ever tried it. Received on Mon Sep 13 2004 - 13:41:27 CEST

Original text of this message