Re: How to ensure data consistency?

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 02:16:32 GMT

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:ap-dndW9qNif0qLcRVn-uQ_at_comcast.com...
> Either I'm misunderstanding you completely, or what you are trying to do
> requires the ability to defer constraint checking until COMMIT time.
>
> If you can defer the constraints, then your do the insert to the main table
> and the inserts to the corresponding secondary table in the same
> transaction. By the time you do the COMMIT, everything is OK.

Is the ability to defer constraint checking until commit time essential? Should it be controlled by the constraint or by the transaction? (That is, should it be the case that one specifies to defer checking when one is creating the transaction, or does one rather specify of a constraint that it should be checked at commit time instead of statement time?)

Marshall Received on Thu Sep 09 2004 - 04:16:32 CEST

Original text of this message