Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: 7 Sep 2004 03:45:01 -0700

mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message news:<413cd4f4$0$42417$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl>...

> > The result is that you don't work with an SQL-DBMS anymore.
>
> For an EDS, no real datasharing required,
> an SQL-DBMS might not be necessary.

DBMSs are not for data sharing only, they are for data management.

Always you need non trivial data management you should use a DBMS (at least in theory).

> > ... We have that vocabulary. It is in the classic computer science books.
>
> Classic as in pre-xxx? xxx being relational, object?

Object.

I mean Dijkstra, Knuth, Hoare and the likes.

> Laconics IDS/EDS distinction creates a frame
> of reference to discuss systems we have and
> can observe instead of discussing ideological
> rights and wrongs.

Rights and wrongs should be scientifical, not ideological.

I don't think that the IDS/EDS distinction is a very good idea.

> > I know cases like this. The low productivity
> > helps a lot to hide the fraud.
>
> True :-( but side-track, no?

It depends on where and when. I am afraid it was rather common in my town during the Internet bubble.

> > But in most cases the performance hit is very negative.
> >
> > See this:
> >
> > http://martinfowler.com/articles/dblogic.html
>
> ISTM (heh) that Martin Fowler knows his business.

I have serious doubts about the honesty of his business.

> He knows his audience (OO students)
> and how to not lose his audience in
> giving advice: by prodding along at first.

But the results are funny. His approach clearly leads to a maintenance nightmare, and it offers poor performance.

> > I think that database system development should be the privilege of
> > people with at least an elementary knowledge on the basics of the data
> > management field.
>
> Accidents will happen. When many cars are
> driven by untrained chauffeurs it is a certainty.
> I don't know how or when the need for drivers
> licenses emerged - hmmmm digressing again.

I am not talking about licenses. I find the confusion between knowledge and licenses really evil :(

Specially at this moment when the universities surrended to the marketing fads and corporative interests.

> > By the way the capitalization is not mine, in
> > English the proper nouns are capitalized.
>
> It looked german (German?)

It looks more Spanish to me, like in "Los Angeles" or "Los Alamos" (Los = The).

> and somewhat
> putting it on a pedestal to me.

It was not my intention. It depends on whether you consider the "The" a part of the noun or not. What is clear is that "Relational Model" should be capitalized.

Regards Received on Tue Sep 07 2004 - 12:45:01 CEST

Original text of this message