Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_mail.ocis.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 21:28:53 -0700

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote:

[snip]

>I've run into almost no OO people in what I'm calling "production". In
>production, it's all about the data.
>If a process screws up, then it's about the data it corrupted, or maybe
>about the results it never produced.
>Fixing the the process is up to the developers, but getting back on the air
>is a matter of survival. So the OO people I've talked to were never very
>interested in data management. As far as they were concerned, "that's the
>clients problem, not mine."
>
>Unfortunately, all this gives production people a very short sighted view,
>and data management is where the long view really pays off, if you can be
>patient enough and smart enough.

     Pardon me? You seem to have that reversed. If one is not even concerning oneself with the data management, that is less than shortsighted: it is willful blindness.

     Production happens. If you do not allow for it, you will not get much for results.

     Whatever theory you use is useless if it does not result in use. I want practical theories that I can use to get good results for the end user. (End users are like weasels: you should not tease them with bad results. They can purr nicely though when you treat them right.)

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation: