Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 07:45:58 -0400

> > Trade offs are to be expected.
>
> Expected, yes, but are they required? I myself am not
> big on compromise; I want it all. I want the full power
> of the relational model, along with important and/or
> modern language features such as type inference,
> parametric polymorphism, first-class functions, partial
> evaluation, etc.

You can't always get what you want. Trade offs are inherent when you pursue multiple goals with limited resources.

There are such things as bad compromises, and they clutter our profession. A bad compromise isn't generally even on the envelope of the trade off.

Real progress is evident when the envelope itself is moved outward. Received on Sun Sep 05 2004 - 13:45:58 CEST

Original text of this message