Re: The IDS, the EDS and the DBMS

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:14:34 GMT

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:r7adnZqp6qA_4KXcRVn-jg_at_comcast.com...

> In my experience, many of the people who think the application ought to
> rule are programmers, and many of the people who think the data ought to
> rule are DBAs or application managers on production machines. What I don't
> know is which comes first: the choice of career paths, or the attitude
> about which ought to rule.

My observation is that it's the career path that comes first. But that's not definitive; I'm an application programmer but I'm now fully signed up to having the DBMS manage the data. (Which is sort of the whole point.)

I'm not sure if the difference you're describing is anything more than an artifact of lack of understanding on the part of application programmers. Once the application programmer "gets it"; that the DBMS is not a structured filesystem but a major partner in getting the job done, then they turn around.

I think it happens about the time they realize the bogosity of ORM.

Marshall Received on Fri Sep 03 2004 - 17:14:34 CEST

Original text of this message