Re: First Impressions on Using Alphora's Dataphor

From: Paul G. Brown <paul_geoffrey_brown_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 31 Aug 2004 21:37:23 -0700

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:<mrCdna138YP8cancRVn-pw_at_comcast.com>...
> "Paul G. Brown" <paul_geoffrey_brown_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> All of these things that seemed so "revolutionary" when they burst on the
> scene were actually years or decades in the making.

  So were the English Civil War, the French Revolution, the American   Revolution, the events of 1917 in Russia, the Cuban revolution, etc.   Name one revolution which was not 'actually years or decades in the making'.

  Contrast with the evolution of British Parliamentary Democracy, the   evolution in suffrage in the US, etc. Or the rather smooth evolution of   automobile technology.

  A 'revolution' is simple one big-arse party with knife fights 'round the   stereo an' we all wake up with a really bad hangover an' a tatoo (SQL). You   sayin' that don't characterize the history of computer science?

  [ snip ]

> You make a good point here. But I think the 6% figure is just a reaction to
> the "overselling" of DBMS licenses
> during the last 15 years or so.

  6% (Gartner's Number, not mine) says "there isn't anyone left t' sell   this stuff to". Are you really suggestin' it's gonna go back to, oh,   10% in two or three years?

  DBMSs been sellin' since 1985. 20% growth, year on year, almost ever   since. Today - 6%. That's population numbers, boyo.

 [ snip ]

> BTW, I wouldn't call it "centralized" anymore. But I would call it
> "integrated". What matters is not whether the data is kept in the same
> placed but whether it can be used together.

   You make a good point. But do you know what the growth rate in    'information integration' tools and products is? 4%.

 [ snip ]
> It also takes a reasonably smart manager
> to know that it needs to be done. It's going to take a while for the
> market to permit those who use stategic long term data strategies to gain
> the commercial advantage over those who fly by the seat of their pants.

  Me. I'm a geek. Always been one. But lately, I've been actin' as the kind   of 'domesticated' geek managers like to invite to meetings.

  Y' know what? IT in general makes about 2% difference to price. Want to   increase demand? Buy an endorsement from Britany. Want to cut cost? Move   production to somewhere that balances labor and transport costs. Want to   argue about how much money we spend on DBMS technology? Lesse. . . Oh!   Here it is! It's the 200th ranked line item. Next!

  All managers care about DBMS tech is 'How much is it gonna cost me?' Wasn't   always like that. Wal*Mart, and a few others, built a business model on   top of their ability to manage data. Today, everyone knows those tricks.

   [ snip ]

> It seems like Greek was invented for philosophers, while Latin was invented
> for engineers and generals.

   Well, all I can say is "Tuis pugis pignore!" Received on Wed Sep 01 2004 - 06:37:23 CEST

Original text of this message