Re: First Impressions on Using Alphora's Dataphor

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 31 Aug 2004 23:09:31 GMT

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> transmitted:
> When was the floppy disk invented? 1970
> When was the first "object oriented language" developed? 1967 (Simula) or
> 1981 (Smalltalk).
> When was the relational model applied to database systems? 1970 or 1982
> when the commercial world took over.
> When were the first computers connected in the Arpanet? 1970
> When was the first Intel microchip porcessor? 1972 (the 4004)
>
> And so on.

Actually, this could be considered support the notion that there has been practically NO genuine innovation since the early 1970s.

Which would support the further thought that it would be a sensible idea to ignore _all_ of the technologies created more recently than (say) 1975, and for would-be innovators to look at the things created between 1965 and 1975 for inspiration to see if things that failed then due to computers not being powerful enough could be reclaimed now.

I'm not _entirely_ serious, although I definitely don't think there has been anything usefully new in either OSes or DBMSes since at best the '80s.

You could do far worse than to rummage around the papers of the '70s to look for mine them for things people have forgotten... Nobody in IT 'management' would be likely to notice that you were creating 'retreads' of old technologies.

--
"cbbrowne","@","acm.org"
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/multics.html