Re: How to do a difference on two sets from same table?

From: Alan <not.me_at_uhuh.rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 03:26:54 GMT

Complete SQL? Can we have your complete salary (or grade)? Minus:

SELECT your_columns_of_interest
FROM wherever
WHERE some_condition
MINUS
SELECT same_columns_as_above
FROM same_place
WHERE other_condition

You are subtracting one set from another set. It is important to keep the set notion in mind when you construct this and interpret the results. In the above, you will see all rows that are in the first part of the query, but are not in the 2nd part.

You must learn how to use MINUS. It is as important as joins.