Re: Employed Programmers (off topic) was: Timeless Classics of Software Engineering

From: Richard Riehle <adaworks_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:29:12 GMT

"Phlip" <phlip_cpp_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:WSgVc.2389$xA7.1066_at_newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...

> I heard a rumor than everyone with significant "XP" on their resume, in
the
> Bay Area, was hitched. But I wouldn't know...

In the SF Bay area, as far north as Napa, as far south as Salinas, as far East as Merced, one keeps running into Pizza chefs, store clerks, security guards, insurance salespersons, real estate sale people, handymen, etc., who claim that they used to be computer programmers. Throughout Silicon Valley, one meets former engineers whose skill set was so narrowly focused that they were laid off in the last round. It is sometimes amazing to me, and humbling, that so many highly educated, well-trained, technologists are now engaged in low-paying service industry jobs, even as some large companies continue to import specialized engineers from abroad.

Richard Riehle Received on Fri Aug 20 2004 - 19:29:12 CEST

Original text of this message