Re: How to model searchable properties of an entity

From: Todd B <toddkennethbenson_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Aug 2004 10:14:53 -0700

dilip_angal_at_yahoo.com (Dilip Angal) wrote in message news:<df683587.0408151804.e7bbb5a_at_posting.google.com>...
> I still don't know how to convince you guys.
> You are all pointing to the process issues that users may give
> different spellings for color.

Yes, everyone sees a lot of threads along those lines in this group.

> I can handle that part by having an admin to create the properties who
> makes sure that the property being added to the part is really
> required and is not used in past by any one in any different context.
>
> But the basic fact does not change.
> I need to keep adding these properties from time to time because user
> communitiy can not decide all of them upfront.

I made a simple suggestion to you, but of course, as it seems in many of these groups, until you are very specific, than you will find only simple suggestions.

> Also, I may have 500 such properties and I can have up to 1M different
> part numnbers. This will give you some idea of complexity.
> User may choose, show me all the parts with width 10 inches, and price
> less than $10 and .... can go on for ever. I need to come back in
> resonable time (Reasonable can be couple of seconds)

From your description so far, this doesn't really sound that complicated, even by the size that you're talking about.

> Also note that the Search engine techniques used by EBya like company
> works only if these attributes are no updated. If they are ever
> updated, Search engines like inverted index fails miserably.
>
> So, please try to understand my problme and accept it as it is and if
> you have solution to solve it, please let me know.
> Dilip

I'm trying to understand your problem, but I don't think it was flushed out as of yet (i.e. I don't think I have enough information about your situation). Or maybe I'm being stupid; that's a definite posibility :)

Todd Received on Mon Aug 16 2004 - 19:14:53 CEST

Original text of this message