Re: Timeless Classics of Software Engineering

From: Richard Riehle <adaworks_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 19:05:07 GMT

"A.G.McDowell" <mcdowella_at_nospam.co.uk> wrote in message news:VzwSVKAhPICBFwOE_at_mcdowella.demon.co.uk...

> Classic papers on the rationale for splitting software into modules -
> and therefore what splits make sense and what don't. Also a miscellany
> of articles about specification, concurrency, real time systems, and so
> on.

With regard to papers, one of the most important, but one that seems to have been overlooked by many in our profession is the paper

Ross, D. T., Goodenough, J. B., and Irvine, C. A.
"Software Engineering: Process, Principles, and Goals,"
  Computer, Vol. 8, No. 5 (May, 1975), pp. 17--27.

This paper has been re-printed in a number of different places, and is important for anyone concerned with software engineering.

Since its publication, others have expanded on some of the goals and principles, but it remains a seminal paper because it was one of the first attempts to describe software engineering in terms of these important ideas.

Richard Riehle Received on Sun Aug 08 2004 - 21:05:07 CEST

Original text of this message