Re: Timeless Classics of Software Engineering

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_mail.ocis.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:19:46 -0700

[Quoted] Nick Landsberg <SPAMhukolauTRAP_at_SPAMworldnetTRAP.att.net> wrote:

[snip]

>It seems there's a normal human attitude that
>"the other guy's job is easier," so we tend to
>underestimate the effort involved in those
>areas where we don't have expertise. Or, more
>precisely, we underestimate the level of experience needed
>to be reasonably adroit with a certain
>"thing" (database/compiler/linker, to use your
>examples).

[Quoted]      I think this is because one can easily understand the high-level, abstract description (or executive summary) of what has to be done. If one makes the mistake of thinking that that is all there is to the work, one gets the above effect. The same mistake is not made in an area that one is proficient in, because one knows about the difficulties.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.