Re: Timeless Classics of Software Engineering

From: Victor B. Putz <vputz_at_nyx.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:33:21 -0500

On 2004-07-29, Bill Todd <billtodd_at_metrocast.net> wrote:
>> No database textbooks listed so far. Is it because
>> 1. There are no classic database books.
>> Or rather
>> 2. Software engineers usually don't know anything about databases.

Well, I think the discussion was more on software engineering/construction.

As for database references, while there are plenty of good books out there, in terms of "bang-for-buck" I haven't seen something on database design that's as concise and yet useful as William Kent's 1982 essay "A Simple Guide to Five Normal Forms in Relational Database Theory"--and considering the databases I've seen "professionals" make that don't even try for well-formed data, it's a shame.

http://www.bkent.net/Doc/simple5.htm

-->VPutz Received on Fri Jul 30 2004 - 01:33:21 CEST

Original text of this message