Re: Timeless Classics of Software Engineering

From: Alan Gauld <alan.gauld_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:59:14 GMT

On 28 Jul 2004 08:04:43 -0700, stevejohnson1972_at_yahoo.com (Steve Johnson) wrote:
> I'd like to hear thoughts on what books, in your opinion, are true > classics in the field of software engineering.

Most have already been mentioned but I'll give my list anyway...

More debatably:

  • Knuth's 3 volumes on algorithms - but more people talk about them than have read them I suspect!
  • The C Programming Language by K&R
  • UML distilled by Fowler might make it into the classics category if UML really does become the standard notation.
  • OOD (first editoon) by Booch - stands the test of time despite the notational changes to UML.
  • Design Patterns by the GoF might work too if OO manages to stick as the dominant methodology

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld Received on Wed Jul 28 2004 - 22:59:14 CEST

Original text of this message