Re: Timeless Classics of Software Engineering

From: Gavin Scott <gavin_at_allegro.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:17:15 -0000

In comp.arch Steve Johnson <stevejohnson1972_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'd like to hear thoughts on what books, in your opinion, are true
> classics in the field of software engineering.

Probably not excatly the sort of thing you're looking for, but you might want to look at:

"Software Pioneers", a book that presents 16 of the classic papers by pioneers in the software field. The book grew out of a conference that was done in Germany several years ago to which all these people were invited to give a presentation. The book includes four DVDs that let you watch those talks. The DVDs are unfortunately only usable on a Windows system using the included player software (which is somewhat in German) that provides a synchronized presentation of the slides from the talks. Note that a few of the talks were given in German.

Some classic material from the true pioneers, some of whom are no longer with us unfortunately.

The contents of the book from the Springer site is available at:

   http://tinyurl.com/6kzco

G. Received on Wed Jul 28 2004 - 20:17:15 CEST

Original text of this message