Re: A Normalization Question

From: Ralph Becket <rafe_at_cs.mu.oz.au>
Date: 20 Jul 2004 19:50:31 -0700

neo55592_at_hotmail.com (Neo) wrote in message news:<4b45d3ad.0407201356.39d4c09d_at_posting.google.com>...

> For example, while RM can represent strings and symbols without
> redundancy at the logical level, it is rather impractical, but not
> impossible.

The RM says *nothing* about *how* data should be *represented* in the same way that the lambda calculus and Turing machines say nothing about *how* languages should be *implemented*.

Implementation is an entirely orthogonal issue.

> The following example (carried out far enough), is even more
> impractical, if not nearly impossible. Try representing the following
> in RM without NULLs or redundant things:
>
> thingA: john take final
> thingB: john receive 95
> thingC: thingA cause thingB
>
> In effect thingC would be:
> (john take final) cause (john receive 95)

causal relationship name causing event caused event

thingC                      thingA           thingB

event name    subject    verb       object
thingA        john       take       final
thingB        john       receive    95

Feel free to "compress" this as you like, but please don't don't expect me to enter into an argument about it: you really do seem to be confused about the distinction between representation and denotation.

  • Ralph