Re: A question for Mr. Celko

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:03:34 GMT

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:25:57 +0000, Marshall Spight wrote:
> "Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message

>> Or lists encoded in relational tables? You can do that with a simple
>> index number (hard to update like the array) or logically simulate a
>> linked list.

> Now *that's* interesting, although I guess I'm most interested in how
> one might implement relations so as to allow fast list operations in
> bulk.

It all depends on what type of bulk operations you had in mind and how big your lists are. Note that if your lists are small then it is actually not a database problem and typical database-techniques might not be very useful. Although, lately in XML research there is an interesting mix happening between the two. And how often will the lists be updated and what types of updates will these be? What is your update language anyway? Or your query language, for that matter?

  • Jan Hidders