Re: A question for Mr. Celko

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:53:10 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:40:40 -0700, John Jacob wrote:

> Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message

>> Like I said, you *can* query them. :-) And calling the functions
>> VALIDTIME and TRANSACTIONTIME statement modifiers seems to me like
>> stretching the concept beyond its usual meaning.

> The term statement modifiers is from the TSQL2 proposal, it's not my
> term. At any rate it's more applicable than function, they apply at the
> statement level, not at the expression level.

You are right. I only knew TSQL from a very short tutorial I saw a while ago and only remembered things like VALIDTIME(T) where T is a tuple variable which didn't seem too wild. Now that I've looked at it again I see that it is indeed much more like a statement modifier. In fact, I now have read Date et al's critique you gave the link to (thanks), and I think I mostly agree with their criticism.

  • Jan Hidders