Re: FOL/HOL: is there a middle ground?

From: Ralph Becket <rafe_at_cs.mu.oz.au>
Date: 18 Jul 2004 21:31:03 -0700

"Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message news:<q9AKc.114259$IQ4.31025_at_attbi_s02>...
> There are clear incompleteness problems associated with allowing
> the definition of set A to references the definition of set A. What
> are some of the other problems with using HOL as a basis for
> a relational algebra?

To put it succinctly:
(a) the relational model fundamentally depends upon the notion of equality, but
(b) deciding whether two relations are equivalent is undecidable in general.

Note that trying to answer (b) by just using name equivalence doesn't work:
if p(X) <=> X mod 2 = 0
and q(X) <=> 2 in {Y | Y is a factor of X} then p and q are certainly equivalent. But deciding this sort of thing in general would mean solving the halting problem.

> Is there a middle ground, above FOL but
> below fully-recursive definitions, that is more expressing
> than FOL but still consistent?

Welllll, you could restrict yourself to purely finite relations, but that puts a serious crimp in the utility of the idea.

> What are the various pitfalls one runs into with recursively
> defined relations? Can we enumerate the "holes" and plug
> them all with restrictions on our fractal order logic?

'Fraid not. You can't even begin such a task.

Can you explain why you would want this level of expressive power?

  • Ralph