Re: A question for Mr. Celko

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:23:13 GMT

"Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message news:pan.2004.07.18.13.17.46.586491_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be...

> That probably depends on your point of view. Calculi are usually much
> easier to reason about formally, and they would allow you to invoke the
> whole machinery that is available from research on temporal logics.
> Writing down such a logic/calculus would also be a good sanity check to
> see if (1) the algebra actually makes sense from a logical point of view
> and (2) if there are no obvious operators missing from the algebra.

Sigh. So much for me to learn.

I've been avoiding learning about relational calculi because algebras are so much easier on my tiny brain. And yet now I'm running into distinct limitations on what I can reason about, and your above paragraph suggests why.

Care to recommend some reading material?

Marshall Received on Sun Jul 18 2004 - 18:23:13 CEST

Original text of this message