Re: A question for Mr. Celko

From: John Jacob <jingleheimerschmitt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2004 23:29:03 -0700

> I hypothesize that you can have list-valued-attributes inline (as
> is already often the case with strings) and relation-valued attributes
> implemented as separate relations, and still keep things quite simple.
> I'm still investigating this, though.

Not only would I agree, but I would argue that not allowing them, as is the case in today's systems makes things harder in general. The system must handle scalar values differently from all other types of values, causing special-case handling in the query processor.

Regards,
Bryn Received on Sun Jul 18 2004 - 08:29:03 CEST

Original text of this message