Re: A Normalization Question

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2004 15:48:51 -0700

> >> "moc.enworbbc" "_at_" "enworbbc"
> >
> > above is a partial real life example of the case you judged as exotic.
>
> No it isn't. Those are three different strings.

The reference was not to the difference between the three strings, but to the possibility of someone desiring a string to be reversed as in my "exotic" update anomaly example where having taken over the world, Islamics might desire such. If the string 'cbbrowne_at_cbbrowne.com' (which names an email address) was stored several times in a db, then updating one and not the others creates an update anomaly. In TM, it is practical/recommended to normalize such strings (see www.xdb2.com/Example/ThingsNamedBrown.asp) which prevents such update anomalies. Received on Sun Jul 18 2004 - 00:48:51 CEST

Original text of this message