Normalizing Every Thing with XDb2

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Jul 2004 19:07:56 -0700

> V Harris wrote: How do you store
> Mr. Brown lives on Brown St.,
> drives a brown car,
> has brown hair,
> wears a brown suit,
> and has one brown
> and one blue eye? [without redundant string 'brown']

I am using a new data model (Thing Model) whose goal is to attain some fraction of the human brain's flexibility. XDb1 is a limited implementation of TM. XDb2 will be more complete. The current alpha version is very basic and its interface quite limited. However, I did enter the equivalent of the above data using its primitive GUI and anticipate its NLI (Natural Language Interface) will eventually accept the sentences below or similar (if one would like to suggest a more appropriate syntax, I am all ears). Additional info, view of data, alpha XDb2 and the db are posted at
www.xdb2.com/Example/ThingsNamedBrown.asp

Format "*X Y Z." below implies create a new thing named X and relate X to Z via Y. Format "* Y Z." implies relate last new thing to Z via Y. Format "X Y Z" implies relate X to Z via Y. Some basic things (ie thing, symbol, string, cls, inst, part, asm, etc) are entered into the db when it is first created.

*live cls relator. (equiv to '*live isa relator' or 'relator inst
*live')
*drive cls relator.
*wear cls relator.

*color cls thing.
*brown cls color.
*blue cls color.

*street cls thing.
*brown cls street.

*car cls thing.
*car1 cls car.

car1 color brown.

*hair cls thing.
*hair1 cls hair.

hair1 color brown.

*suit cls thing.
*suit1 cls suit.

suit1 color brown.

*eye cls thing.
*eye1 cls eye.

eye1 color brown.
*eye2 cls eye.

eye2 color blue.

*person cls thing.
*brown cls person.

  • live (street)brown.
  • drive car1.
  • part hair1.
  • wear suit1.
  • part eye1.
  • part eye2.

Note: "*brown cls color." would be equivalent to

*. (Create new thing)

  • name brown. (Relate new thing to its name, string brown)
  • cls color. (Relate new thing to its class, color)