Re: A Normalization Question

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:51:59 GMT

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:03:21 -0700, Neo wrote:

> The reason the redundant string 'brown' doesn't qualify for
> normalization in RM is because RM's scope/definitions/standards are
> limited.

I'm not using RM's definitions. I'm using the general definition that applies to all data models that consist of sets, bags, lists, tuples, references and any data structure that can be described as made up of those.

> ID Person Color Street
> 1 brown brown brown
>
> One only needs to look at the above tuple to see 'brown' is redundant.

The type of redundancy that you are talking about is irrelevant at the logical level.

  • Jan Hidders