Re: A Normalization Question

From: Larry Coon <lcnospam_at_assist.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 10:18:44 -0700

VHarris001 wrote:

> Why isn't each "pet" considered a unique thing rather than a quantity?

First, it was just an off-the-top-of-my-head example for a table that might contain numbers redundantly rather than strings. If you're asking questions like the above, you're getting off track. Perhaps I should switch to more abstract examples? Eg:

create table foo (
  foo_id numeric(5) not null,

  number_of_bpfs int,
  number_of_qdcs int,
  number_of_plms int,

  primary key (foo_id)
)

Does that help?

Second, if you really want a context for my example, perhaps it's a customer database for a pet food supplier, who needs to know only how many of each type of animal each customer has, so they know how much of each type of pet food to supply.

Larry Coon
University of California

The NBA Salary Cap FAQ:
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm Received on Fri Jul 09 2004 - 19:18:44 CEST