Re: A Normalization Question

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:18:43 GMT

Neo wrote:

>>You have failed to show that they represent the *same* fact.

> You have *failed* to define what is a fact?

I did that elsewhere.

> However, regardless of whether the string 'brown' is categorized as a
> fact or not by your definition, they still represent the same thing,
> the string 'brown'. Having three things that represent the same thing
> in one db is redundant.

No, it is not. There is only redundancy if one of them can be ignored without loss of information. You cannot. So there is no redundancy. It's as simple as that. This is the standard definition of redundancy in database theory that applies to all data models. If that is not the type of "redundancy" you would like to discuss then please use another term and give an exact definition, so we know what you are talking about.

  • Jan Hidders