Re: A Normalization Question

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Jul 2004 10:40:26 -0700

> does it bother you at all, the steady stream of database professionals,
> college professors, etc. who come through here and try to explain to you
> that you are misunderstanding normalization?

No it doesn't bother me at all, the steady stream of database professional and college professors, etc who come through here and try to explain to me that I am misunderstanding normalization because it is they who have a limited understanding of normalization which is a subset of the general form of normalization.

> Do you ever consider the possibility that,
> in fact, they might be right and you might be wrong?

Yes, I haved considered it and will continue to consider the possibility that I might be wrong. But currently, I am confident that a db that contains the string 'brown' three times has redundant data.

> It strikes me that there are two possible ways to interpret the
> situation. Either you have broken though the previous
> ceiling on human understanding, through genius or deep
> insight, or else you simply misunderstand what's going on.

Yes, those are two possible ways out of many.

> Is it that your opinion of yourself is so high,
> or that your opinion of everyone else is so low?

Normalization (and its many forms within the context of different data models) is independent of my opinion of myself of that of everyone else.

> Can I ask how old you are?

Ultimately, the general form of normalization is independent of my age, skin color or brain size. Received on Thu Jul 08 2004 - 19:40:26 CEST

Original text of this message