Re: A Normalization Question

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Jul 2004 11:08:28 -0700

> It appears to me the left vertical leg of the letter "r" in "brown" is
> the same as the left vertical leg of the letter "n". The curved part of
> the "r" looks like the curved part of the "n". Further, the circular
> part of the "b" looks suspiciously similar to the rightmost 135 degrees
> of the "o". Cannot, then, this example be further "normalized"?

You are blurring two different issues.

In the original example, because the string 'brown' (name of three things) is stored multiple times in the db, it is a candidate for normalization.

In the original example, because we did not store the graphical data to render symbols on the screen, they were not a candidate for normalization. This was left upto the the hardware/system (ie the graphics card) which may in fact normalize some graphical parts (ie a pixel, lines, arcs, circles, squares).

If graphical things were being stored in a db, and the db stored the same two graphical things twice, the second one would be a candidate for normalization. Received on Wed Jul 07 2004 - 20:08:28 CEST

Original text of this message