Re: Exciting Papers on Normalization in list-based data models

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.comREMOVE>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:24:15 -0500

"Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message news:NOkFc.172722$3Q1.8529971_at_phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> Jan Hidders wrote:
> > Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:
> >
> >> "Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message

<snip>
 http://www.acm.org/sigmod/pods/proc04/pdf/P-33.pdf

> Happy reading,

> -- Jan Hidders

Excellent! I can see that I'm missing some notation conventions I'll have to dig up to get all the way through it (for example, L[N] in the definition of a list-valued attribute doesn't provide me with enough information until the next def which tells me the domain, so I gather that L[N] is the label for any vector consisting of elements in the domain of N)

I love the domain of lamda as {ok} -- I don't know if there is a history for that or if these guys made that up (to indicate null as a value, if I'm reading it right).

 I sure would have preferred a nice little business data processing example over the nucleotide sequences but the multivalue dependency work looks right up my alley, if only I understood it. smiles. --dawn Received on Sat Jul 03 2004 - 17:24:15 CEST

Original text of this message