Re: Exciting Papers on Normalization in list-based data models

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:37:58 GMT

Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:
> "Jan Hidders" <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be> wrote in message
>

>>Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:
>>Did I already mention that there are new exciting papers on
>>normalization theory in list-based data models (as opposed to set-based
>>data models)? Pretty profound stuff.

> I'm not on the inside, so I'm happy to have you as a dealer -- please point
> me to 'em.

Be careful what you wish for ... :-)

I actually haven't finished reading them myself, it's not an easy read, but I saw the presentation at the last SIGMOD/PODS and that was quite impressive. At least it will give you an idea of what is happening at the moment.

To get an idea you can read the abstract at

http://springerlink.metapress.com/app/home/contribution.asp?wasp=mftayltgum0tu6lx8ue3&referrer=parent&backto=issue,10,20;journal,130,1610;linkingpublicationresults,1:105633,1

There's more references on Sven Hartmann's home page. Unfortunately I didn't see much on-line. If you mail the authors they'll probably be happy to send you the paper.

  • Jan Hidders