Re: One Ring to Bind Them

From: Bill H <wphaskett_at_THISISMUNGEDatt.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 02:37:56 GMT

"Tony" <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk> wrote in message news:c0e3f26e.0406190400.3e94cca0_at_posting.google.com...

> Very funny! How can MV optimise ANYTHING given that you have already
> determined the access paths for all the data?

The default access path is the storage algorithm, managed by the db engine. It is debatable whether this is an optimization.

> Suppose we want to get
> the data out ordered by product code instead of by line number within
> order, which is how we chose to store it. How can MV optimise for
> that?

It will optimize how the applications people tell it to.

> An RDBMS may choose a different access path to get the data
> depending on the ORDER BY clause.

The access path is always the same as the default, unless otherwise specified as noted above. Output may or may not by ordered BY whatever. Received on Thu Jun 24 2004 - 04:37:56 CEST

Original text of this message