Re: XP and data modeling

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:59:41 -0500

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:cb00at$n5b$1_at_news.netins.net...
> Question List 1: For anyone who has used XP with data modeling, what
have
> you encountered in refactoring the data model through the life of the
> project and maintenance thereafter? Is your experience that this approach
> reduces the overall cost of software applications? What type of changes
are
> most likely in subsequent iterations during the project -- additions, such
> as added attributes or relations, or changes that have more of an impact
on
> the application written to date, such as moving attributes from one
relation
> to another?

I did some further searching for answers on this and found a bit of chatter, such as
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ExtremeProgrammingChallengeThirteen

I have plenty of agile programming and XP books here, but was looking for someone with experience and a data, rather than strictly XP, angle.

For my second question about whether there are other approaches that are as clean in how to determine what is in or out of the data model, I have been unable to find (or dream up) anything else that comes close. The efforts to design for the future with DB's, as with all programming, are so murky as to boil down to "let experience be your guide". So, I'd suggest that a combination of that (experience) and XP just might be the best approach to determine what relations and attributes to include with any particular external version of software.

--dawn Received on Tue Jun 22 2004 - 16:59:41 CEST

Original text of this message