Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Tony <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk>
Date: 19 Jun 2004 04:47:12 -0700

"Anthony W. Youngman" <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<SI7zJjE3Xy0AFwZq_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>...
> In message <cage91$kif$1_at_news.netins.net>, Dawn M. Wolthuis
> <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> writes
> >> Not that there aren't things you "just have to know" in a schema of
> tables,
> >> but the Pick people treat it as though it's "intuitively obvious". Maybe
> >> an SME, but maybe not to everybody else.
> >
> >No we don't -- oddly enough, it is though. smiles. --dawn
> >
> Oddly enough, I've just been trying to get to grips with our new SQL
> database. And I asked "how do I know which tables belong together?" I
> was told that, given an individual table, I couldn't find out which
> other tables "join"ed to it. I "just had to know".

Either the person you asked was an idiot, or you have a crap SQL DBMS, or both. What DBMS is it? Every SQL DBMS I know has a data dictionary that shows the RI constraints between the tables, which gives you what you need. Of course, some application-centric idiot "designers" don't bother to define these, because the application "knows". Received on Sat Jun 19 2004 - 13:47:12 CEST

Original text of this message